Hello wonderful readers,

I want to thank each and every one of you for your love and support on this blog. I was overjoyed by the response I received from last week’s first post!

I was very hesitant to write my second official blog post on my diagnosis of MS, but I would like to take the time and use this platform as a way to educate readers, and share my experience with MS. After all, the first word in the title of this blog is Ms. J

Being diagnosed with MS in January of this year was a large life altering event. It was not a negative life altering event, but a blessing in disguise. Some readers may not understand how being diagnosed with a neurological disorder that could take away my mobility, or the brain I have worked so hard to fine tune, could be seen as a blessing, but I ask you to continue reading to allow me to show you how I am viewing my diagnosis.

On November 23rd, 2016 (Thanksgiving weekend), I began to experience numbness and tingling on my right cheek and my right ribs. This numbness and tingling seemed to come out of nowhere, but it originated in isolated areas, so I was not alarmed at its onset. If you know me, I am not a large fan of going into the doctor’s office, so of course I brushed off this sensation and told myself I slept on my right side wrong. As the weekend progressed, and we were getting ready to leave for Thanksgiving dinner with my mom’s side of the family, I remember telling my mom that my right cheek and ribs felt “funny”. The nurse in her instantly asked for me to take both of her hands and squeeze to make sure I wasn’t experiencing a stroke or loss of strength on my right side. I proceeded to squeeze each of her fingers without difficulty and she asked me to keep an eye on it and mention if anything changes. 

As the holiday weekend continued, and Trevor and I traveled to Door County to spend time with his family, my right cheek and rib numbness persisted. By the end of the weekend, the sensation had stretched all of the way to the top of my head, down to my right foot. I felt as though my whole right side had fallen asleep and I was not entirely sure as to why. As my husband and I traveled back from Door County after visiting his family, I found myself shaking my right hand to try and regain sensation (as we might do if a body part fell asleep). My husband, being the amazing man he is, said if it’s not better by the time we get home, we will need to go in.

We arrived back in Sheboygan in the early afternoon and I had not regained any sensation along my right side. We went into the walk in clinic, which was completely dead due to the holiday weekend, and checked in. They said I would be called within forty-five minutes to be seen by a doctor. My husband and I were able to leave the clinic since they had a new texting option that updates us on our wait time.

We went back to our apartment to wait for my scheduled time and I started to receive updates that my wait time was getting longer and longer. What was once forty-five minutes turned into an hour, then two hours, and so on. One of our very best friends, Eric, is an NP, and we consult him often if we have any medical questions or needs. When Trevor heard our wait time was getting longer, he turned to Eric for advice. Eric asked me about my symptoms and told me it was time to go into the ER to have a doctor do an exam.

Trevor and I got into the car and headed to the emergency room in Sheboygan. I have never gone to the emergency room for any medical concerns, so this experience was very strange to me. At the ER they ran blood work, completed an EKG, and other routine tests. After about two hours, the doctor came in and told me she could not find anything abnormal in my exams, but she has reached out to a neurologist in the area who would be seeing me the next day. As many of you know, neurologists normally have a waiting list that is weeks long, but the ER doctor was able to get me in right away since this was a pressing issue.

My husband and I met with the neurologist the very next day to discuss what symptoms I was experiencing. I informed him that I still had numbness and tingling along my entire right side and I was very exhausted. After he completed a few tests, he suggested we get an MRI of my brain scheduled. I had the MRI of my brain completed the very next day.

December 1st, 2016 is a date that will always be ingrained into my memory. Trevor and I closed on our very first home together in the morning, moved out of our apartment into our home that afternoon, and had a follow-up with the neurologist to go over my MRI results. Talk about a jam packed day! We were fortunate enough to have the help of our very close friends, Halie, Eric (our NP friend mentioned early), Jess, Jaren, Austin, and Willie. We were able to move everything from our apartment into our new home in two hours! By the time we had all of our items thrown into our new home; it was time to leave for my appointment with the neurologist. My mom and Trevor accompanied me to my appointment.

The neurologist came into the room, introduced himself to my mom and sat down at the computer. He then pulled up the results from my MRI and began to explain the different images. The first few photos looked like a normal brain, or what I thought to be a normal brain since I had never seen MRI results before. There was one image showing both sides of my brain that the neurologist stopped on. I instantly noticed a large white spot on the right side of the screen that was not present in the images before. The neurologist paused and stated that this white area was abnormal. He continued to explain that this lesion located on the right side of my brain is what was causing the numbness and tingling and it is often seen in patients with MS, Multiple Sclerosis. This is where time seemed to stand still. 


I continued to stare at the large white spot in disbelief. I remember saying to myself, “this must be a mistake. That is not my brain, the neurologist must have the wrong room. I can’t have MS, no one in my family has MS. How is this possible? I am a healthy twenty-three year old who exercises and eats well. How can my brain have lesions on it?” I remember looking over at my husband who was sitting next to me as tears began to fall down his face. My mom, who was standing to view the images, had a very serious look on her face and began to get teary eyed. The next thing I remember was the neurologist handing me a tissue to dry the tears than began to form in my eyes.

Time continued to stand still. I took a very deep cleansing breath, attempting to remain strong and present, before I simply said to the neurologist “ok”. The neurologist went on to suggest a spinal tap, starting a course of solumedrol IV treatment, and other blood work. I was still in disbelief, staring at the white spot on the screen attempting to retain as much information as I possibly could. Thanks goodness I was not alone in the exam room, because I honestly do not recall hearing the doctors recommendations after receiving the news.

I remember taking the elevator down to the parking lot level with my husband and my mom in silence. My husband was holding my hand and my mom was rubbing my back. When we got in the car and shut the doors, I think the news began to sink in because I was overcome by a mix of emotions. One particular emotion and thought seemed to be stronger than rest; I was hopeful and I thought to myself “I would get through this”.

Since that appointment on December 1st, 2016, I have experienced: two spinal taps, two rounds of solumedrol treatment, two known episodes, more MRI’s and blood tests than I am willing to count, and many, many tears. I have also experienced: the unconditional love and support from my husband and our families, being blessed with a wonderful neurologist and nursing staff, so many positive thoughts and prayers from people all over, and the realization that I am truly not doing this on my own.

If you would have told me earlier this year that I was going to be receiving challenging medical news, I would have told you that you’re crazy. Life throws everyone a curve ball every so often, and I believe that it is not what happens to us that matters, but it is the way we respond and move forward.

MS is not something that happened to me, MS is something that happened for me. I am not my diagnosis, and I refuse to live a life that is defined by my medical history. My diagnosis has helped me realize what really matters in life. I have been told many times that I am “too young” to be experiencing this, but we all experience wake up calls in life, and I was fortunate enough to encounter mine at a young age.

I could tell you some cheesy line such as “live life to the fullest now, because you never know when your last day on Earth will be”, but I think we have all heard that a thousand times over again. If I could give one piece of advice, and I cannot promise it won’t be cheesy, because I like cheesy (I am from Wisconsin after all). I would have to suggest finding what makes you happy to be alive, and do that as often as you can. We all have this unwavering potential within us, don’t let your life pass you by and not go for what makes you happy. Okay, that was a little cheesy, even for a Wisconsin native.

I am not going to lie to you and say that every day has been sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns throughout this whole process. I have experienced many bad days where I felt as though I was being pulled into a dark abyss of nothingness, but I was pulled out and tried to surround myself with the people I love who could pick me up. We all experience good days and bad days, so I am not experiencing anything new or special. I do believe you have to experience grave darkness in order to see the divine light that exists around and within you. I can thank God, my yoga practice, all of the amazing teachers, my husband, and my family for showing me this. As I stated in the first post, I am not anyone special, just an ordinary twenty-four year old with a story to share. 

Now that I have shared my MS diagnosis story with you, let’s get to the educational aspect of this post. Please know that my MS story is unique to me, because everyone who has either been diagnosed with MS, or is living with MS experiences different symptoms. I strongly believe that knowledge is power, please continue reading to learn more about MS. I will include the websites where I found the information, so please click on the links to continue reading and educating yourself.

“Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the flow of information within the brain, and between the brain and body.”
“MS is considered to be an immune-mediated disease in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks myelin in the center nervous system. Myelin-the protective coating around fiber in the central nervous system-is a primary target of the immune attack in MS.” (http://www.nationalmssociety.org/What-is-MS/Definition-of-MS)

“While the cause of MS is still not know, scientists believe that the interaction of several different factors may be involved. MS is not hereditary, having a first-degree relative such as a parent or a sibling with MS does significantly increase an individual’s risk of developing the disease.” (http://www.nationalmssociety.org/What-is-MS/What-Causes-MS)

“Multiple sclerosis is thought to affect more than 2.3 million people worldwide. While the disease is NOT contagious or directly inherited, epidemiologists-scientists who study patterns of disease-have identified factors in the distribution of MS around the world that may eventually help determine the cause of the disease. These factors include gender, genetics, age, geography, and ethnic background. Most people are diagnosed between the age of 20-50, although MS can occur in young children and significantly in older adults. MS is at least two to three times more common in women than men, suggesting that hormones may also play a significant role in determining susceptibility to MS.” (http://www.nationalmssociety.org/What-is-MS/Who-Gets-MS)

At this point in time, there is no cure for Multiple Sclerosis. There is a great deal of research going into different medications and ways to help live with MS, but there is no remedy to take away this destructive disease. With advances in technology and generous donations, we know more now than ever before. I am remaining hopeful that a cure will be found in the very near future and we will be able to break the shackles that MS holds on more than 2.3 million people and their families.

I want to thank you all for reading my MS diagnosis story, and for educating yourself on MS.

If you enjoy my posts, please subscribe by entering your email and share this blog on social media. Stay tuned for next Monday’s post.

Thank you so much for reading! 

Comments

Popular Posts