Inspired and Motivated

Hello wonderful readers,

Happy Monday!

I hope you all had a wonderful, productive week last week. Can you believe it's already November? As soon as I get used to writing one month down, it switches. 😊 And if a new month wasn't enough of a change for you, we even changed our clocks back an hour on Saturday night. I hope you all enjoyed an extra hour of sleep or something wonderfully exciting when reliving your hour. 

I wanted to take a moment and thank you all for reading this blog, sharing it, and reaching out to me. I love hearing your feedback and knowing that this platform is making a positive difference in the some of your lives. It's an honor to be on this journey with with.

This past week I was inspired and motivated by a group that offered to do a fundraiser for me. I am keeping the group name anonymous for now, but I am sure you will find out in the near future who they are.  
My initial reaction to this was "A fundraiser for me? Why would anyone want to raise money for me?" For a split second, I had forgotten I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease which could take away aspects of my life that I live for. I had forgotten I recently published the reality of the disease and the treatment that follows a flare up. I had forgotten I shared my diagnosis story and expressed the sadness that followed my diagnosis. I had forgotten all of that because I have been feeling slightly better after completing treatment. And more importantly;

I am not my diagnosis

Yes, I will admit I have Multiple Sclerosis and I will use my diagnosis as a way to educate those who have questions or want to hear my story. Multiple Sclerosis is an aspect of my life, but it is not my whole life. I have other hats I chose to wear and identify with before my diagnosis.
I am a wife, a yogini, a dog mom, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a writer, a blogger, a yoga teacher, and so many other things. These are roles I hold and will admit to prior to stating I have Multiple Sclerosis, oh yeah, and I'm Dyslexic.

We all have roles we fill and play out throughout our days. We have a conscious choice which one we fill first or identify most with. In moments I am not feeling so hot, and I fall into feeling bad for myself, I can clearly identify with my diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis and possibly even put it first. I am not perfect, and I will not lie to anyone or try to convince them otherwise. I fall into feeling bad for myself and have moments of weakness; We all do, and we are all entitled to them. 

We are all entitled to the feelings that surface and if we suppress them, we begin to build barriers, for ourselves and for others in our lives. These barriers are normally in place to protect us due to something that has occurred in our past, but they can also do a great job of hurting us and potentially others. This idea of barriers is something I will dive deeper into in a later post, so please stay tuned!


Back to the real topic of this post, being inspired and humbled by how considerate the human spirit is. When the group approached me, and wanted to do a fundraiser for me, I asked my initial "why me" questions; I next felt an immense amount of gratitude. I was honored to be able to serve as inspiration for this group. There are so many causes that are worthy of a group hosting a fundraiser for, and this particular group chose me. They heard my story and were moved to ask for financial donations to support my cause. It's an honor and a privilege, and one I do not entirely feel worthy of. 


As stated in last week's post, I do not feel my situation is anything special. Hundreds of people every day are given a soul shattering diagnosis or news that doesn't sit well with them. There are people living around the world that don't have access to clean drinking water and are unsure when their next meal will be. Our world is filled with great sorrow, but it is also filled with people like you, and like this group, who are striving to make a difference. There are people on this Earth that see the hurt in others and are able to truly empathize with them. These people then turn around and say: "How can I support you?"

These people exist everywhere and do not get enough credit. We need more people like this to know they are appreciated and are making a difference, even if they are doing the smallest of things. Human beings are astonishing creatures that have the ability to look the other way, OR dive in full force and create change. 

Which one are you?
What troubles in the world keep you up at night and are calling for your help?
We all have something that pulls at our heart strings and motivates us to open our pocket books, if possible, and be the change.
The world needs more people like this; and the world needs more people to act on these feelings.


So how did I respond to this selfless gesture? I thanked the group for the amazing offer and asked them to fundraise for an organization that is helping more people with MS than just me: The National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Could Trevor and I just responded with: "heck yeah we want you to fundraise for us individually. We have substantial debt from our student loans and medical expenses that we could pay off with this newly acquired money." Sure, we could have said yes, but in our hearts we knew this organization could use the funds more than Trevor and I. We want to create change and make a difference in the lives of multiple families here in Wisconsin and beyond.

Our beliefs, morals, and actions need to align with one another. We are constantly looking for ways to live and act with more love and compassion, and our response was just that; out of love and compassion for others.


This past April we created Team Tanck and raised over $4,000 for Walk MS and the National MS Society here in Sheboygan. Our goal was to raise $500 and we surpassed that within the first day of our fundraising efforts.
People were stepping up and supporting Team Tanck left and right. This simple gesture reinforced just how loving and generous we as humans can be, IF we act and respond positively on these feelings. 


My intention for this week's post is to motivate us all to act and respond out of more love and compassion for others.

Thank you so much for reading this week's post and for making this world a more beautiful, loving place.

Subscribe, comment, and share.
Make a different, light the way, and share your story today. 
Namasté.


Comments

Popular Posts