Past, Present, Future

Hello wonderful readers,

Happy Monday!

I'm going to be honest with you, I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to write about this week. I thought about doing another #MsMinimalistChallenge, or writing a post with an update on my journey with Multiple Sclerosis, but I thought I would do something slightly different.

This time of year is one of many changes - externally and internally. The temperature has dropped, outdoor activities take longer to get properly dressed for, traveling in a vehicle is more dangerous with the snow on the roads, the air hurts your face, and animals turn to hibernation. We humans also seem to go into our own version of hibernation by moving indoors for a majority of our day. Not only do we physically move inside, we emotionally move inside ourselves as well.

The holidays do a beautiful job of stirring nostalgic feelings and sensations within us. Whether is be looking to the past year(s) and reflecting on what has happened, or looking to the New Year that is now quickly approaching. This time of year can also be a time of great happiness or great sorrow. Instead of looking too deeply into the past, or gazing to the future, I ask us all to look at the present moment and focus on what is right in front of you.

Being completely and fully present is not an easy task.


I find it easy to reflect on this past year and everything that has occurred in my and my families lives. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at 23 years old. I started and completed my 200 hour RYT to become a certified yoga teacher - which was a lifelong dream of mine. I took a family vacation up North. My husband also fulfilled a dream of his and became a college Football coach. I became a volunteer yoga teacher at Lakeland University. Multiple people in our lives got married, celebrated anniversaries, birthdays, and special events. My brother and his beautiful wife had their first baby, and Trevor and I became an uncle and an aunt. And so many other wonderful, and not so wonderful, things happened.

I could spend a great deal of time reminiscing about what happened this past year. Using my time to view moments in the rear-view mirror brings a smile to my face and also a flood of tears to my eyes. This was a year that did not go as I had planned. I never planned on being sick and diagnosed with a life altering autoimmune disease. I can spend my time this holiday being frustrated or happy at the past, but I am choosing to spend my time and focus on the present moment. We all will have moments when we look to the past, and that is perfectly okay and natural, but we should not live in the past. We can grow tired of viewing everything in the shadow of what once was.

When I feel myself sinking into my memories of this past year, I tend to flip my focus to the New Year. This is something many of us do since 2017 is coming to an end, and 2018 is right around the corner. 


So often we look to the future with our hopes and aspirations of changes we want this new year to bring. Some might be very realistic and attainable, and others we might be shooting for the stars. I am a strong believer of goal setting in the new year and it is something I will post about on January 1st, 2018, but when I look at today's date, it is not January 1st, and it is not 2018 yet.

Please do not get me wrong, looking to the future is not a bad thing. It is not a negative idea or practice to look to the future. We are all human and enjoy living in our heads as it fills with wonder and excitement for what lies ahead. We are all filled with imagination of what could be and what should be in 2018, but I would like to remind us all; let's not live in the future or the past, let's live in the present moment.

The word "present" is a very interesting one, especially as Christmas approaches. Present, for many of us at this time of year, means physical items we have purchased at the store that are beautifully wrapped and patiently waiting to be opened come Christmas morning. Present might be something you are hoping to receive or even hoping to give someone else. The present I am discussing this week is not something that can be wrapped or contained in a cardboard box. The present I am talking about is the most important gift of all time: being here, right now.


The present moment we all are fortunate to live and breathe in right now is the most beautiful gift. Being able to be conscious and hold physical space on Earth here right now is something we should not overlook. I ask you to spend this week drawing your focus to right here and right now.

As you are reading this post, you are breathing fresh oxygen into your lungs, sitting in a well heated room, with clothes on your back, and clean water sitting next to you or near by.

This all is a blessing.

As Christmas approaches, enjoy each passing moment for what it is. Enjoy being the observer to the events unfolding around you. Whether that be eating with loved ones, gazing at the beautifully decorated tree, watching others open presents, opening gifts yourself, watching younger ones run around, helping clean up after a consumed meal, eating holiday treats, sitting with a hot drink in hand, and sharing lots of laughs, hugs, and love with those closest to you.

Enjoy every, single, moment as they are all perfect, and fleeting.

I know Thanksgiving is normally the Holiday we share and express thanks, but being grateful and fully present is something we should not only express and experience on the Holidays, it's something we should be doing daily. I hope this has served as a reminder to us all how lucky we are to be alive and living in this moment.

I appreciate each and everyone of you reading this post, and being on this journey with me. It's truly an honor to be able to write and have a safe, positive, encouraging atmosphere to do this in.

I hope you all have a beautiful week filled with lots of love, laughter, and good food.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

Subscribe, comment, share.
Share your story, light the way, make a difference today.

Namasté.


Comments

Popular Posts