Connection

Hello wonderful readers,

Happy Monday!

Thank you all so much for reading last week's heart felt post. I received multiple messages asking if my prescription co-pay was truly that $3,434, and it was surely that high.
I could not make this information up, and I am genuinely sharing my reality with multiple sclerosis with you.
From the bottom of my heart to yours, thank you to the individuals who reached out with empathetic intentions and comments. Hearing from you means more to me than I will ever be able to express.

Thank you.

A question I brought up in last week's post was, "What am I to be learning from this situation?" This is a question I often ask myself when I am placed in a tough situation or making a difficult decision. Sometimes the answer to this question might not present itself for many years, some answers I have not been able to come across in my twenty-four years on planet Earth yet. I was shocked to get an answer to this question about my co-pay situation so quickly.

I have an associate, who will remain nameless, who is going through their journey with a recent diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. This associate and I were checking in on one another which often occurs multiple times throughout the week. This associate reached out to me to see how I was feeling last week Thursday. We would both go through our series of questions, checking in on one another when their response to my question of "How are YOU doing?" would stop me in my tracks.

My associate told me they called to fill their prescription for the first time and was informed their co-pay was over $3,800. My associate stated they were nervous to be starting a new medication their multiple sclerosis and the addition of this large co-pay made them question if they could afford to take this medication. This medication is something my associate and their doctor agreed on which is not an easy decision in itself. My heart ached for my associate because I felt in their words the same pain and defeat I had felt less than a week prior. My mind was racing a million miles a minute, but no words could be strung together to form a sentence for me to express my empathy.

I responded and asked if I could call my associate.

When I called my associate the first words that came out of my mouth were, "I am sorry." As the word "sorry" left my lips I knew in my heart these words would never do justice for the empathy I felt for them.

I took a breath and continued to talk to my associate in hopes of putting their mind and thoughts to rest. I told my associate I had this very situation happen to me the week prior and I empathized with them. I told them though our situations are similar, they are vastly different. My associate has children on top of their job, and the million other roles they fill so my heart swelled with empathy for them.

After we talked for close to fifteen or so minutes, I asked my associate if I could help them or lend them support in any way. They responded by saying, "you have helped me immensely, I am so glad you shared with me not only your experience, but also what you have been taught by this situation."

This is when my eye began to swell with tears - I felt in my heart that I had just received the answer to my question. I could have been gifted this answer at any time, but I was given it when I was able to find peace with my situation and share what I had been taught with another. I was given my answer when I put my pride and my feelings aside to help someone else I felt for.

I was given my answer through connection - raw, real, authentic connection.

We all crave to feel connected to and connected with, even in the slightest of sense.

To authentically feel another persons hurt inside your being and hear their desires echo through you is compelling.

Though some lessons can be soul curshingly tough to learn, the lessons and the connectedness that are to follow make it all worthwhile.

Every tear, all of the sorrow you experience or are experiencing, is part of something larger. It's easy to lose sight of the big picture when we are swallowed by the wallowing of our own perception. Someone needs you, someone needs to hear the lessons you have been taught through your triumphs and tragedies.

I need you. We need you. This world needs you.






I hope this week is filled with beauty, lessons, and connection for each of you.

Thank you all for reading and traveling with me on this journey.
I value you so much.


Subscribe, comment, and share.Together we rise, one breath at a time.
Make a different, light the way, and share your story today.
Namasté.


Comments

Popular Posts