Marriage and MS - Team Tanck

Hello wonderful readers,

Happy Monday!
I hope you all are having a beautiful start to your week and you didn't forget to "spring" the clocks ahead! If you did forget we move the clocks ahead, good thing our cell phones do it automatically for us - Technology for the win!

Thank you all so much for reading last week's blog post about my current reality with Multiple Sclerosis.
It is already the second week in March and we are continuing our series for National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness month. This week I will discuss marriage and MS.

Please note the word "marriage" came before MS. This was an intentional title for a two reasons. First, being I got married prior to my diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. Second, because I would put my "title" of being a loving wife before being an MS warrior.
Please do not mistake my previous statements as my health and wellness is not my top priority because that would be untrue. My health and wellness is one of my main priorities, but being a wife is also a top priority of mine.

My soulmate, Trevor, and I got married on August 13th, 2016. It is a day I will cherish for the rest of my life. I have shared Trevor's and my love story on the blog before, so feel free to look back in the archives to my second ever blog post!

Trevor is not only my husband, but my dearest friend, confidant, and motivator.
When Trevor and I got married we did not share the traditional vows, our vows are as follows:




I Jenny/Trevor take you Trevor/Jenny to be your wife/husband, your best friend, your partner in life, and your one true love.


In the presence of God, our family, and our friends, I promise to love you without reservation, to challenge you in all aspect of life, and to grow with you in mind, body, and spirit.

I will stay by your side through sunshine and rain.

I vow to love and support you thorough triumph and tragedy.

My love for you is everlasting.


Trevor and I wrote these vows with one another and shared them as we promised our lives to one another. 

Even though our vows did not have the statement traditional vows have, "I promise to love you through sickness and health", we vowed to love one another through "sunshine and rain", and "triumph and tragedy". We did not know that tragedy and rain would strike within the first four months of our marriage.

I did not know that I would be enforcing one of our vows so quickly into our marriage.

My symptoms relating to my first known episode with MS started late November 2016 and we reviewed the results of my first MRI on December 1st, 2016 right after we signed the papers on our first home together.

There was no way of knowing how our married life would unfold, but our marriage was tested, and we rose up stronger, and closer than ever.

Trevor and I have always had a team mentality when it came to our relationship. When Trevor was going through something, I went through it with him. When one of us was happy, the other was happy. When one is sad, the other is sad and so on.


We go through every step, every obstacle, and every victory together.

During my health journey, Trevor attended every doctors appointment, every treatment session, every MRI, and every blood test. He was there holding my hand and being my unwavering source of strength as we battled Multiple Sclerosis.

Again, notice I said "we" battled MS.

Trevor was there to wipe every tear away before it could even make contact with my cheek. Trevor was there telling me he loves me while I sat hooked up to a machine receiving IV steroids during my episodes. Trevor was there holding my hand at every single blood test because he knows how much I dislike needles.

I will not lie and say this was an easy time in our marriage. I felt as though my amazing husband vowed his life to a woman who was broken, sick, and who had hit rock bottom at twenty-three years old. Trevor was constantly providing me with loving confirmation that he would never leave my side and he would stick with me through this journey time and time again.

Loving him and being loved by him gave me strength when I felt like giving up.
I am not sure what I did to deserve this unconditional love, but this man and our lives together were and are the reason I continue to fight this health battle.

We began referring ourselves "Team Tanck" well before my health battle. Trevor played Football at Lakeland College (now Lakeland University), and my very good friend and I created a sign that read "Team Tanck". This was something that I brought to every game to support Trevor as he dominated on the football field. This sign traveled to every home game, every away game, rain or shine. I would put in in a plastic bag to keep it protected during the games with precipitation. This sign even traveled 19+ hours as members of Team Tanck drove to Myrtle Beach to watch Trevor play in his senior All-Star game.
This Team Tanck sign would also attend Trevor's younger brother, Austin's football games to cheer on another loved member of Team Tanck.
This sign and saying has been used to encourage and uplift members of the Tanck group for years. It has become somewhat of a slogan or hashtag for our family.

Together, we are Team Tanck, rooted in love, constantly picking each other up, and unwilling to give up on one another and the life we share. 
Marrying Trevor has been one of the greatest accomplishes of my life.

I love you Trevor James Tanck, you are forever my always.

Thank you all for reading this week's blog post. Stay tuned for more content next week and this month in honor National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness.

Subscribe, comment, share.
Together, we rise. One breath at a time.
Make a difference, light the way, share your story today.
Namasté



Comments

Popular Posts