My Truths and MS

Hello wonderful readers,

Happy Monday!
It is already the last full week of March; where did the month go?!?!

Continuing on our theme for National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness month I would like to dedicate this last week to sharing a few of my truths and MS.

There were so many topics I thought of discussing for the last week of this month, but I found if very difficult to chose just one. So, I thought I would share a list of my truths in relation to my multiple sclerosis.

These truths are my truths. Multiple sclerosis is a very personal auto immune disease and what is true for one individual with MS, might not be true for the next. One person might experience many symptoms while another individual experiences almost none. Multiple sclerosis is unique to the person. No two cases of multiple sclerosis are the same. What I have found true for me, might not be true for you, and that is okay. My hope when sharing my truths this week is to shed some light on what I have found to work for me, what I have come to know, and what I would like to share at this time.

What is true for me today, might not be true for me tomorrow. I am still on my health journey with multiple sclerosis and learning every second of every day what works and what doesn't work.

I am truly a work in progress, as we all are.

Some of my truths with multiple sclerosis.

1. Not all of my symptoms can be seen.
Multiple sclerosis happens inside of the body, either on the brain or somewhere along the spine. The autoimmune system is overactive and attacks itself leading to symptoms and sometimes permanent damage. My symptoms are not able to be seen on the outside. No one can see the extreme fatigue or heaviness I carry in my heart. From an outsiders perspective, I might look like a healthy, "normal" twenty-four year old. I try my absolute hardest not to allow my symptoms to influence my mood, actions, and even words, which is sometimes easier some days than others.

2. Every day, hour, and minute is different.
I have good moments and bad moments, just like everyone else here on planet Earth. I have good days where I feel strong and healthy, and I have other days I feel as though walking up a flight of steps is like running a marathon. Learning to celebrate the good times and breathe through the tough times is what gets me through. When I feel healthy, I cherish this time. I live through these moments knowing that it could change in a few seconds. I do the same with the times I feel my weakest, knowing this time too will pass and I will be back to my best self in no time.

3. My body will whisper at my before it screams.
Our bodies are a beautiful gift, a miracle that can easily be taken for granted. My symptoms start out small before they become large. I might begin to notice my vision is not as sharp, or I yawn a few times in a row. These symptoms can be easily missed if I am not in tune with my body. If I chose to continue to push through my symptoms, they get louder. I might start to get nauseous, or the fingers on my hands start to move slower, or my eye lids might start to feel really heavy. Again, I can chose to push through these sensations, or I can chose to stop and rest. If I chose to continue, I might start to lost my train of thought, or I might start to make unnecessary mistakes, or my foot might feel heavier when I am walking. If I chose to push past these symptoms, I could be out of commission for hours, sometimes even days. Our bodies are constantly talking to us whether we listen to them or not. I used to be an individual who pushed past any little sensation, but learning to pause and ask myself what my body is trying to communicate to me.

4. Medication side effects are no joke.
Before my diagnosis, I didn't even take ibuprofen. The extent of my medicine intake stopped after tums. I never liked how medications made me feel. I never read over the side effects when taking a medication because I am someone who would become over sensitive and feel as though I was experiencing them all. So, if I did take a medication and started feeling "off", I would later look up if my sensation was a common side-effect for the medication I took. This wasn't the best practice, I know, but the medications I am taking now have side-effects and precautions that I find it impossible to not be informed of. Every medication has a range in severity of side-effects and knowing if the medications primary functions outweighs the side-effects has been a common discussion among my family, doctors, and I.

5. You must be your own advocate.
I do not want to sound like a Debbie-downer, but there is no one who can show you the "right" way, or what will be the best solution for you. There is no one, size fits all solution, so we must stand up for ourselves. Yes, we can have a soundproof support system that accompanies us to every single appointment, I highly suggest having someone with you to be an extra set of ears and eyes at every medical appointment. Knowing the questions to ask can be hard, so not being afraid to ask the doctors honestly, "what am I not asking" can be a great starting place. There is no such thing as asking too many questions, so feel free to ask away.

6. You are in a working relationship with your medical professionals.
Knowing that you have a say in your healing is huge! You have more power than you realize. I wholeheartedly believe that doctors are here to help us. Doctors know more than I will ever know, so I respect their medical opinions. If something doesn't sit right with me, I ask for time to digest it, emotionally and mentally. Sometimes when being told difficult medical news can leave us feeling like we need to make a rash decision, on the spot, and as though we don't have time to think through some things. If you need time, ask for time. If you need a second opinion, get a second opinion. The medical professionals you chose to work with are there for you. Working with one another as a team will only help during your healing journey. I know and trust all of those on my medical team. I honor their expertise and they respect me and my health. We are fortunate to have access to health care, so I feel honored to work with and heal with such brilliant medical professionals.

7. I was surprised by the amount of people who reached out to support me. I was also surprised by the amount of people who I considered close that I didn't hear from.I feel overwhelming blessed to have the support system I have. I have a husband and family who constantly supports me and is helping me through my health obstacles. I would not be doing as well as I am today without their help. I constantly acknowledge and appreciate everything they do for me, no matter the magnitude. I have friends who reach out to check on me and who genuinely care for me. I adore and appreciate all of those who have stuck by my side and lent me a helping hand during my time of need. The second sentence in this truth is a tough one for me to share. I am surprised by the amount of people who I would have considered close friends or acquaintances that did not reach out to me at all. I know this might sound selfish. We all go through tough times in life. We all struggle with something, whether we chose to share it or not. I know this, but I was surprised by the amount of people who knew of my diagnosis and didn't reach out. I do not expect a pity party or condolences from everyone, but I was taken back by the number of people who didn't even acknowledge my struggle. Talking about someones health can be very....well....awkward, uncomfortable, and sometimes straight up weird. Just hearing the words "thinking of you" can suffice. To switch to another side of this coin, I was overwhelmed by the amount of people I might not personally know who reached out to me and shared their stories and their empathy with me. This support came pouring in to myself and my husband, and to those people we will be eternally thankful. Sharing support provides greater healing than we will every understand.

8. I have limitations and I am not sorry for them.
I will not deny this any more. I have things I can do, and there are things I cannot do. I have always had limitations. Again, we all have limitations, whether we admit it or not. When I need to throw in the towel and stop what I am doing due to sensations I am feeling, I am doing it for my health. I am listening to my body and respecting its wishes. I can chose to swim against the tide or work with it, and it is a lot less painful and fatiguing to swim with the current rather than against. I am someone who apologizes for every little thing, and I have come to realize saying sorry when it's not authentic is worse than saying nothing at all. Feeling bad about something that us out of my control only causes unnecessary stress.
Speaking of stress...

9. Stress is a silent killer.
I am talking about the unhealthy, useless stress in this point. I believe some stress can be helpful if it is the good type of stress, but too much of something is a bad thing. When we allow stress to stay in our bodies it creates health problems and exacerbates already existing health problems. Too much stress can harm us in more ways than help us. Learning to let go of stress and find positive coping mechanisms to help reduce stress is crucial. I am slowly learning to let things go and avoid stress like the plague.

10. I need physical movement. 
There are days I do not feel like doing anything at all. The fatigue seems impossible to shake or even making a meal seems like a daunting task, but I know if I do not do some type of physical activity, I will be stuck in this feeling. Movement for me varies. Sometimes getting up and walking Riley around the block is all of the movement I need. Other days, I need to get on the elliptical, lift weights, and work up a sweat to release built up energy. One activity I have found that my body craves nine times out of ten is yoga. As many of you know, I am a 200 hour certified Vinyasa yoga teacher. Vinyasa means to place in a special way. Some Vinyasa classes are dynamic with multiple physical postures in a minute, and other Vinyasa classes are slower with longer holds. The beautiful thing about yoga is there are so many types. Yin or restorative yoga is available if you are craving longer holds. Ashtanga yoga is there is you want the same set sequence to work through. Kundalini yoga is present if you want to align your chakras. The world of yoga provides the practitioner with an unlimited amount of options; we have the freedom and gift to chose. I feel better after I move and my movement varies each and every day.

11. My diagnosis of multiple sclerosis has changed my life.
Plain and simple, multiple sclerosis has flipped my life upside down, multiple times. I have learned more about health, wellness, love, and life in the past year than I ever could have imagined. The life I used to live prior to my diagnosis is no longer, and that is okay. The new life I am creating is just as beautiful, just as fun, and just as fulfilling as before. I have been taught priceless lessons through my health journey and the one that I seem to be taught over, and over, and over again is this:
Love is everything.

Thank you all so much for reading this week's blog post. I greatly appreciate your readership and dedicating the month of March to multiple sclerosis awareness. This will not be the last time I share about my health journey and multiple sclerosis. Please stay tuned and subscribe to stay up to date on all of the goodness that is yet to come.

Thank you so much.

Subscribe, comment, share.
Together, we rise. One breath at a time.
Make a difference, light the way, share your story today.
Namasté

Comments

Popular Posts